Given that this is the eve of Colorado Gives Day (a statewide movement created to celebrate and increase philanthropy in Colorado), and we’ll be asking our supporters to consider making a donation to SpokesBUZZ, we thought it might be interesting to take a look at where our funding has come from so far in 2015. So without further ado, here are some financial facts for your consideration:
- Founded in 2010, SpokesBUZZ Fort Collins is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- That means that your gift to the organization may help lower your tax bill, in addition to that awesome altruistic feeling
The SpokesBUZZ fiscal year runs from May 1 of the current year to April 30 of the following year. Here’s a look at where our funding has come from thus far in 2015 (this chart details May – November 2015; click on the chart for a larger view):
Items of note:
- “Earned Income” is money collected through the sale of goods or services — such as ticket sales at SpokesBUZZ events, merchandise sold (like T-shirts or sales of our annual compilation CD), silent auction item sales at our fundraising events, that sort of thing. A misconception some people have is that a nonprofit shouldn’t seek profits — but the reality is that organizational sustainability increasingly depends on an ability to make money from sources aside from outside support.
- We have been fortunate to receive some support for SpokesBUZZ this year through municipal and state grants (both operational and programming funding from the City of Fort Collins, Colorado Creative Industries and the National Endowment for the Arts).
- An (incorrect) assumption that some people make is that SpokesBUZZ is surely supported in large part by some of the generous charitable foundations that exist in Fort Collins. Nope. Less than 1% ($125) of our contributions this year can be attributed to donations from foundations. And in this case, the $125 is a result of matching or incentive funding from foundations (the foundations gave us money because individual donors did).
- Which provides a nice segue to where we get the bulk of our funding: from corporate support and individual donors.
In a nutshell:
Our funding comes from YOU — the people who believe in and align with our mission and our local music community. That includes the businesses that support SpokesBUZZ as well; 100% of our corporate sponsorship this year has come from Colorado companies. This is not to say that we wouldn’t welcome more earned income, national sponsors or foundation gifts! It just demonstrates that your donation matters. And yes, every amount counts. Every SpokesBUZZ Fan Club member, every person who takes us up on the suggested donation at our annual CD release party, every local music lover who is inspired to contribute to supporting the artists in our incubator program … you all make a difference. And even if you can’t offer direct financial support, your volunteer efforts, your time spent spreading the word and introducing more people to SpokesBUZZ, your in-kind contributions of food, drinks, supplies, services — they’re all appreciated and we are truly grateful.
Colorado Gives Day: 12/8
We hope you’ll consider joining us to celebrate Colorado Gives Day at Illegal Pete’s Fort Collins on Tuesday, December 8 from 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. We’ll be there accepting donations, hugs and high fives. Illegal Pete’s will donate 50% of their sales that evening to SpokesBUZZ, and A-Train Marketing has pledged to match up to $1000 in donations to our organization that day. Everyone that donates onsite that night will also get a drink ticket from New Belgium Brewing, so come raise a glass with us as we propose a toast to you — the people that keep the wheels on for us so we can support the Colorado musicians that make us so proud.
Can’t be there in person on Tuesday? You can give online — or come see us later in the week at the SpokesBUZZ CD release at Hodi’s on Friday!